(Senior) Scientist - Cancer Biology & Drug Testing
VitroScan – Better Informed Treatment Decisions for cancer patients
VitroScan is a Dutch biotech company founded in 2016 and based at the Leiden Bio Science Park. VitroScan develops fast and accurate predictive testing for multiple cancers and treatments to support better informed treatment decisions for cancer patients.
Treatment decisions for cancer patients become increasingly more complex. Innovative new treatment strategies, including immunotherapy, and cellular therapies have the potential to offer great benefit to cancer patients. While established treatments already improved the care for cancer patients since long time. In this continuously changing landscape, diagnostics are crucial to deliver the best treatment for each individual patient. VitroScan develops fast and accurate predictive testing for multiple cancers and treatments.
Our unique technology platform uses high content 3D imaging for sensitive detection of therapeutic responses. Analysis is based on generation of a 3D image stack of the tumor tissue in the assay, followed by segmentation, and subsequent feature extraction for representation of the drug response. A growing database is correlating ex vivo drug sensitivity and clinical outcome for several cancer types.
The team consist of successful entrepreneurs, experts in the fields of bio informatics, computer vision, programming and 3D cell culture and drug testing, with extensive networks in fields of clinical oncology, pharma, and (bio) information technology.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist that is keen to make a difference in the life of patients. We are looking for the new member of our growing cell biology team.
As a (Senior) Scientist, you will be responsible of sample processing and drug screening of patient samples that are collected in several ongoing clinical trials. You will be in charge of the planning, execution and development of R&D projects in collaboration with the cancer biology and bioinformatics team members. In addition, you will interact and work with research and clinical partners, from academia or industry, to ensure effective development of VitroScans predictive testing services. You will actively participate in the lab, share duties and planning tasks for (unpredictable) new patients samples. You will align your work in close collaboration with the bioinformaticians to coordinate the image and data processing. You will perform experiments, ensure quality, documentation, and traceability of sample processing, perform data analysis, and discuss the results with the team and collaborators.
This role job comes with opportunities to develop, as your work will be essential the success of the company.
Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Sample processing and day to day management of drug testing
- Planning and execution of internal R&D projects
- Collaboration with external and clinical partners
- Project management in the context of grants
- Data analysis and critical evaluation of results
- Clear communication and reporting
- Contribution to the writing of patents, grants and manuscripts
- Abstracts writings and preparation of conference posters
- PhD in the field of oncology with expertise in cell biology
- Or MSc with >4 years of working experience in a similar position within a (bio)pharmaceutical company
- Affinity with commercialization of technology
- Proficient in English
- Experience with in vitro cellular assays and organoids/3D culture technology
- Experience with reading, understanding and writing SOPs
- Excellent planning skills and flexibility
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Live and work in the Netherlands
- Experience with processing primary/patient samples
- Experience in Immuno Oncology
- Experience with microscope imaging
- Experience with drug screening
- Experience with IHC, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, assay development
By joining a rapidly developing start-up, you will get the opportunity to have an impact on the structuring of the technology platform and development of our services towards the customer. In the meantime, get the opportunities to develop your career. This includes having very diverse tasks, broad responsibilities and to work towards the goals of the team and the company. You will work within a highly motivated team, in an international environment, in close collaboration with hospitals, academia and other companies and take part in driving the current project towards a market ready product. Furthermore, the position is located at a biotech hub in a vibrant and international environment.